Choose a PAAQT Quilt Appraiser
The Professional Association of Appraisers – Quilted Textiles (PAAQT) is an international organization established in 1992 to promote and guide professional certified quilt appraisers. All members are dedicated to providing professional and ethical expertise on quilts and quilted textiles.
- Appraise antique, vintage, newly made (traditional and contemporary) and art quilts and quilted garments for owners, makers, exhibitors privately or at venues such as quilt shows.
- Are guided by the federal regulations of “Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice” (USPAP).
- Abide by a Code of Ethical Practices.
- Are tested and certified by national or international organizations.
- Have knowledge of quilt history, fabrics, quilt dating, construction techniques, pattern recognition and regional influences.
- Stay up to date on the current values and market trends of all types of quilts.
- Attend continuing educational opportunities that focus on recent developments in historical facts, the market place of comparable sales, new construction costs and recent changes in governmental regulations. These events are sponsored by PAAQT as well as other organizations.
- Provide services for individuals, collectors, museums, historical societies and other organizations. These services include giving lectures on the history of quilts, fabrics, construction techniques, regional differences, care, description of the appraisal business, etc. Appraisal days and documentation days may also be scheduled.
PAAQT Quilt Appraisers Can Help You Care For Your Treasures
Because of their extensive training in quilted textiles, you can be confident of their recommendations.
Contact PAAQT Quilt Appraisers for:
- Appraisals of quilted textiles for individuals, exhibitions, and quilt shows.
- Use, care, display and storage information for new and old textiles.
- Dating your quilt. Quilt appraisers have knowledge of the history of textiles, style trends, and geographic differences in styles of quilts.
- Repairs to a quilt which require expert knowledge of methods of repair, conservation and restoration. Appraisers have the resources to direct you to the correct professionals for this.
- Construction possibilities of old tops and blocks. PAAQT appraisers have the knowledge of fabric and construction to be able to help you determine the best answer to your questions.
PAAQT Membership Accepts Certification From These Organizations
Appraisers Association of America (AAA), www.appraisersassoc.org
American Quilter’s Society (AQS), www.americanquilter.com
American Society of Appraisers (ASA), www.appraisers.org
The College for Appraisers (CFA), http://cfacollege.org
The International Society of Appraisers (ISA), www.isa-appraisers.org
Our membership application mentions American Quilter’s Society, an Accredited (AM from ASA or ISA) or Certified (CFA; Senior Member from ASA or CAPP from ISA) or a certificate of membership from AAA. Proof of membership and certification must be supplied when first applying.